Design Thinking for Innovation
This intensive 3-day workshop offers a deep-dive introduction to the concept and practice of design thinking for services, processes, and products. Understand why design thinking has become the go-to approach for innovation across industries, and learn how to apply it according to your own needs. You’ll walk away with a complete toolkit for human-centered innovation.
This hands-on course will guide you through the entire process, from understanding a stakeholder group to discovering a need to creating a solution to address it – whether it is a process, a service, a product, or an app.
During the three days you will do research, create insights, and prototype and test solutions. Along the way you’ll learn practical tools to take back to your work, including research methods, synthesis approaches, user journey mapping, rapid ideation, and experience prototyping techniques.
By the end of day 3, you will be ready to apply this knowledge to your own work and become an ambassador of fast-paced change inside your organization.
Lectures are spread throughout the three days and are immediately followed by direct hands-on applications, research and prototyping in the field, and individual and group coaching along the way. We will work according to a rapid design thinking process that puts the user at the center to create actionable, business-ready experience prototypes.
Over the course of three days, we will introduce you to fast, effective, and broadly applicable tools and techniques for prototyping digital, physical, and hybrid service concepts.
- UnderstandingIn-depth Interviews:Templates and structures for gaining deep user insights.
- Research Synthesis:How to make sense of field research through clustering techniques.
- User Journey Mapping:Identifying pain points and highlights in an existing service.
- Insight generation:Techniques for distilling large amounts of data and complex information into actionable insights.
- Opportunity finding:How to formulate designable questions from research-backed insights.
- Rapid ideation:Tools for generating large quantities of ideas and refining them.
- Concept mapping:Tools for developing rough ideas into a detailed and actionable concept.
- Co-creation:A powerful way to get input and buy-in from end users by involving them in the design process directly.
- Experience Prototyping:Techniques for creating and testing immersive prototypes ready for further development. Guidelines for iteration and optimal fidelity levels for rapid field testing.
This course is ideal for…
Anyone responsible for creating or delivering products and services, understanding customers and users and improving their experience, or managing such a process. Enthusiastic past participants have included professionals from product, marketing, HR, usability, front-end development, and designers of all kinds. The course is particularly suited for multidisciplinary project teams working towards a common goal, and we encourage teams to join as a group to acquire fluency in a new shared language and methodology.
This is an introductory course focusing on practical design processes in their entirety, but we welcome designers from any fields who wish to become more human-centered and holistic in their approach. Due to the small course size we are able to give a lot of individual attention and support to all participants and have time to go in-depth when needed.
Day 1: Preparation & Research
AM: Introduction to design thinking; field research tools & techniques
PM: Field research in the city; download; user journey mapping
Day 2: Synthesis & Concepts
AM: Field research analysis, insights, opportunities
PM: Ideation, concept development, prototyping
Day 3: Testing & Takeaways
AM: Testing; advanced experience prototyping; iteration
PM: Introducing design thinking into your work environment; change management; team presentations
- Lectures 9
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Self